Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Asian Flank Steak


This is one of our new favorite dinners around here. The husband absolutely loves it. I like it because it is super easy, and doesn't require a lot of time to prep and make. The first time I made it, Steve said "you should make this for company".  I haven't done that yet, but I am sure that I will before too long.
I have made this with flank steak, london broil, and some sirloin steaks that I got on sale. I think that any inexpensive type of steak is fine, the trick is just to slice it like you would a flank steak.

Asian Flank Steak

1 Tbsp canola (or veg) oil
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp water (omit water if using low sodium soy sauce)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 flank steak
Thinly sliced green onions
Hot cooked white rice

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic, and cook, stirring, until very fragrant, or about 3 minutes. Add soy sauce, water and brown sugar. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Preheat oven on Broil while sauce is simmering, and cut small slits into both sides of the steak. Place steaks on a broiler pan (I put my wire rack on top of a foil covered cookie sheet) Brush or spoon a little bit of the sauce onto the top of the steaks, then place under the broiler for about 4 minutes. Flip the steaks and spoon or brush more sauce on the other side, and broil for about 4 more minutes, for medium rare. Leave it in longer if you want it more well done.
Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak, against the grain, and diagonal. Place the slices of steak on a platter, and spoon a little more sauce over the top, then sprinkle with the sliced green onions. Serve with hot rice and the rest of the sauce for drizzling over the rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...